You may have heard in the news that doctors discovered a man has locked-in syndrome after being in what was thought to be a vegetative state for over two decades. Except it seems he doesn't actually have locked-in syndrome. Turns out a therapist was using facilitated communication . This is a discredited approach to help those with autism, locked-in syndrome or other disorders communicate with others.
Anyway, while I was learning about locked-in syndrome I came across articles about a man who actually had it. Jean-Dominique Bauby had a stroke in his brainstem which is the part of the brain that, among other things, transmits signals from the cerebellum (brain meat involved with movement) and cerebrum (brain meat involved with thinking, speaking, and carrying out action). He was completely paralyzed except for his left eye. While in hospital he wrote a book about his experience called The Diving Bell and the Butterfly which he blinked, one letter at a time, to someone who translated his blinks.
I just watched the movie based on the book (same title) and I highly recommend watching it. A friend of mine recently mentioned a quote that said something like 'you've never fully experienced anything until you've told someone about it.' I thought of that quote while watching the film because the viewer is privy to the character's inner monologue but he is unable to verbalize the majoritiy of it to anyone else in the film. The movie does a good job of helping the viewer feel somewhat claustrophobic by making portions of the video from the perspective of Jean-Do complete with occasional blurry eyes and a cringe-worthy moment when the doctor sews one eye shut. Anyway, just go watch it so we can talk about it :P
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I should try to teach a class entirely by blinking. Maybe by the end of the week my voice won't be so shredded.
Post a Comment