When I was in elementary school, our male teachers were addressed as 'sir'. In high school, it was always 'Mr. Soandso'. In university, it became 'Dr. Whatsyourface'. In grad school, my formality and apparent social skills have declined dramatically...
Today, I accidentally called one of my professors 'dude'. As in, 'Dude, I totally know what you mean!' while talking about brainmeats. Fortunately, he didn't seem to mind/notice, so...gravy.
Other notable moments of glory:
1. One time RC called one of her profs 'Buddy'. I can't remember the context so RC, if you're out there, please enlighten us.
2. One of JTL's students referred to him as 'mom'. No. Shit.
Anyone else have a slip up you want to share?
Monday, March 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
It's not my slip up, but it's funny all the same. So in the math department we had a professor named Morris Orzech who's wife was the undergrad chair (Grace Orzech). They were co-teaching a third year class we were all in and to help distinguish between the two, we would call them morzech and gorzech. Well my friend Kathleen accidently let it sip, referring to morris as morzech to his face in class... oops
Ryan
I had a teacher for Grade 5, Mrs. Patterson, whom everyone called "Mrs. Patterballs" behind her back. (She wasn't the nicest teacher at the time, although in retrospect she was actually pretty good.)
One day, we were all lining up to go inside after recess, and she asks this kid, Kevin, a question. He didn't hear her, so he said, "What's that, Mrs. Patterballs?"
The look on her face was absolutely priceless. I was about five feet behind Kevin at the time. An absolute silence came over the lined-up kids. Then, very slowly, she said, "What... did you say?"
After a slight pause Kevin replied, "I said... uh... 'What's that, Mrs. Patterson?'."
You could cut the tension with a knife, I swear. Then, she said to him very calmly, "Come with me."
Frankly, I don't know if Kevin survived that day or not.
Actually, I think I called him "dude", but I have the mind of a amnesiac, so you're probably right. But basically, it was near the end of class, and the prof was deliberately being obtuse. (Probably to get us to talk, we weren't the chattiest class)
Out of frustration, I said something like "C'mon (buddy/dude), do you really think [insert stupid thing the prof was saying about Italian Renaissance here]"
Then a pause.
Then I said something like "I just called you (buddy/dude) didn't I?" Then I felt shame.
Post a Comment