Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Guns

I had lunch with some friends today who told me that they both own guns, and they keep the guns in their homes. Although one of them had a gun license, the other did not. I asked how she got the gun, and she said she walked into a gun store, bought the gun, went home. She said it was like the scene in Bowling for Columbine when Michael Moore gets a gun at the bank.

I asked them why they needed guns in their homes, the answers were [in no particular order]: protection, hunting, and target shooting.

Personally, guns scare the crap out of me and I wouldn't want one in my house, even if it's unloaded. I'm probably scarred by that story of the rock star guy who accidentally shot himself in the head at a party...JTL - help me out here...

Anyway, I just can't see how easy gun access can be a good thing. My friends agreed with me, and went on to discuss the right for civilians to purchase automatic rifles. One friend summarized, 'Owning automatic rifles is a perversion of the constitution.'

I think out of all my friends, I know one who has owned a gun. Does anyone here know of people who have guns?

1 comment:

JTL said...

The guitarist: Terry Kath.

My uncle's been an avid hunter all his life. He has also kept his hunting rifles unloaded and locked tightly in a proper gun-cabinet for as long as I can remember. He also registered them all, as per the gun registry. So have all his buddies, with whom he goes on hunting trips on occasion. (I guess it's a rural thing.)

Aside: I'm watching a baseball game on tape-delay; the A's and Red Sox started the season in Tokyo. I just saw a Sox fan in the crowd wearing a t-shirt that says "YANKEES SUCK". This person is also about twenty thousand kilometres from New York. God, I love baseball.