Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Chicago Drivers

I really am going to die here - my friend got hit by a car yesterday in Chicago! Some douche blew through a stop sign and hit her! She fully bounced off the hood and then started yelling at the driver. Guess why he didn't see her? You know the answer...

He was on his cell phone.

Fortunately, she wasn't hurt but seriously, it's a race to see who dies first.

** Update **

I did a brief search to find out if any stats are available on pedestrian fatalities in Chicago. Sure enough, Chicago has a much higher rate of pedestrian injury hospitalizations and deaths than neighbouring districts in Illinois and Wisconsin. I'm too lazy to look up anything else but the point is...it's time to make that suit out of bubble wrap.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A bubble wrap suit is an awesome idea! Though would you spend more time popping the bubbles than actually making the suit? (I know I would...)

And one more strike against cell phones, and cell phone users ;) I'm amazed more places haven't made talking (or texting!!) on a cell phone illegal while driving. People barely pay enough attention as it is, the last thing they need is another distraction while operating a two thousand pound vehicle of death.

Glad to hear she wasn't seriously hurt.

As for statistics, I'd imagine that most major metropolitan areas would be higher than any other areas. I'd be curious to see differences between injuries from cars compared to injuries from SUVs...

Anonymous said...

Crossing the street in Chicago was scary. I couldn't do my usual walk-in-front of car technique that seems to work in Toronto.

JTL said...

I've said it before and I'll say it again... whenever I'm driving to or from work and someone else is weaving, going super-slowly, or just generally behaving like an ass, THEY ARE ALWAYS ON A GOD DAMN CELL PHONE.

Sometimes I wish I could have a flashing neon sign I could turn on when I see one of these assfucks: "GET OFF THE PHONE, ASSFUCK!". That would really hit the spot... before one of these douchebags hits me.