My procrastination skills were honed in undergrad when I would suddenly develop an obsession with a celebrity during midterms and finals. I had phases involving David Bowie, Prince, and sadly...Celine Dion. There was also an online Mah Jong phase that pissed the hell out of my roommates because of the loud sound effects. Oh yes, and the Chupachups game that has been taken off the website, thus ending that obsession :(
As a grad student, my procrastination has become a bit more complex and in some cases - purposeful. Also, procrastination is not restricted to midterms and finals - it has now become an all-consuming and constant activity. For example, I made the decision to bring my NES with me and aim to beat every game I own. In addition, The Discovery Channel has provided a variety of shows to become obsessed with such as Deadliest Catch. I now know more about crab fishing than I ever wanted to or thought possible. I not only watch the show, but go to the official websites of the boats and crew and sadly, have contemplated getting swag.
Allow me to share with you my current and future obsessions.
CURRENT OBSESSIONS
Deadliest Catch - this show is on honestly about 15 hours a day on the Discovery Channel. My favourite ships are the Northwestern, Time Bandit, and the Cornelia Marie. I keep Captain Phil in my thoughts and hope he makes a speedy recovery.
Tennis (natch): The Rogers Cup is going on right now but unfortunately there is no coverage on TV in the states. No problem - I have a live score tracker open on my computer during the day so I can check it constantly! Current favourite players: Ernests Gulbis, Marat Safin, Marcos Baghdatis, and Fernando Gonzalez.
Marble Madness: This game is going to kill me. I still make it right to the end and then run out of time. I'm not sure what to do other than play it relentlessly every day.
FUTURE OBSESSIONS
Dr. Mario: I've already beaten this game on 'slow' but there's still 'medium' and 'fast' to go!
Chicago architecture: Next summer I plan on doing the architecture riverboat cruise [it's cheap for students]. In the meantime I'm going to read a book given to me by G which features really old photos of buildings in Chicago.
Shark Week: Beginning Sunday, Discovery Channel will start showing shark-related shows. This will complement Deadliest Catch nicely. * I have now officially resumed my obsession with Great White Sharks. I still cannot believe they are real.
Thursday, July 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
We're all pretty proud of you up here, you know.
Post a Comment