Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Banking Pt 1

My goal today was to open a US bank account at the Bank of America so I could pay my bills for free online as opposed to buying cheques and stamps. Being Canadian, I knew this would be a challenge so I armed myself with a passport, my F1 visa, mail showing my name/address, etc.

Getting the account was surprisingly easy, so I got really confused. Then - the glitch. They couldn't set up my online banking and to call the head office. It turns out they won't let international students without social security numbers to bank online. Let's get this straight - I can do all the banking I want in person at the branch but I can't do the same banking online until October 1. They're doing some bank merger and after it's complete I'll be able to do my business online.

This all makes perfect sense. The best part though? I'm getting a few cheques to use for paying rent and got a preview of what they'll look like. I can't spoil the surprise but trust me, you will want to stay tuned...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Considering it's the Bank of America the image better consist of nothing more than an American Flag, maybe an eagle.

It should also have micro print that says Fuck Yeah too.

JTL said...

Ooooh... in my mind's eye it contains the following:

- a bald eagle
- holding a gun
- stomping on a terrorist
- while boning Heather Locklear
- with a thought bubble above it saying, "I'll Put A Boot Up A Commie's Ass"