Saturday, September 20, 2008

Roller Skating Adventures

Today I went roller skating with some friends - not roller blading but roller skating. So retro and fun! At first it was really hard because it's not the same feel as ice skating so it took some time to adjust. In no way can I skate backwards nor turn so I had to keep taking baby steps until I was turned around.

The rink is set up like cosmic bowling - black lights, stars, etc. There were these guys who came alone with their own ipods and, I swear, did their own interpretive dance-style skates around the rink. They looked like professional roller skaters if there is such a thing. One of the employees told me they have roller skating conventions where they do fancy tricks. Take a minute to absorb that.

Things were going well until I started to lose my balance. I tried to move my feet to the side and change direction like you would on skates but wheels don't respond the same way and *whoop whoop whoop* my feet went up in the air and I fell RIGHT on my backbone. The pain was up there with breaking my ankle. I heard a whistle belonging to a person dressed as a referee and everyone literally stopped to stare. One of the pro-skaters (who looked like The Jesus from The Big Lebowski) helped me up. Like a champ, I rolled on.

1 comment:

JTL said...

You don't fuck with The Jesus.