Saturday, March 14, 2009

Happy St. Patrick's Day - Chicago Style!

Apparently, Chicago celebrates St. Patrick's Day early. Last year I was fooled and showed up to the party a few days late. Not this year, dear readers. After muscling my way downtown in a mob of green party hats, beads, and way too many 'kiss me I'm Irish' shirts, I made it just in time for the annual river dyeing ceremony.

Because of environmental concerns they used a new dye this year. Interestingly, it looks orange/yellow when it goes into the river but quickly turns a healthy neon green. As the boats dumped the dye into the river, a band of bagpipes and drums played while crowds cheered.

Here are some photos in chronological order that show the process. Look out for the Canada geese who decided to join the party. Judging from the radioactive glow of the dye, I bet they're partying in bird heaven about now.








1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I swear the one guy leaning over the edge of the boat looks like he's wearing a hazmat suit....so much for "environmental concerns".