A weird thing happened to me at the bar the other night. I was out on the patio of a bar with two friends who smoke. A representative from Camel cigarettes came over and asked if we wanted free cigarettes.
My friends said yes. The cigarette girl pulled out a Star Trek-esque scanning device and scanned their cigarette cartons, and driver's licenses, then entered their names and contact info into the same device. Then she scanned packs of Camel cigarettes and gave them each two packs of their choice.
I was asked if I wanted some for myself. I said no, but my friends wanted me to get some for them (I actually felt a lot of dissonance doing so). However, after looking at my driver's license the girl said she couldn't give me cigarettes because I was Canadian and therefore couldn't confirm that my license was valid. While I joked about this being discrimination against foreigners, a dude in a suit came over and said he could in fact give me some cigarettes.
All I had to do was print and sign my name on a form. I don't think I even had to declare that I was of legal age to smoke. Then I was handed one pack of cigarettes, not two. Let's review:
* They can't give me two packs of cigarettes because they can't prove I'm legal age.
* They can give me one pack of cigarettes without any proof at all.
This makes total sense. Also, is this legal?
Wednesday, March 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
There's a lot of shit that's legal in the US that isn't in Canada (or Ontario). Two things come to mind:
1. Cigarette vending machines. We used to have 'em, but they've been gone for 10 or 15 years, because you can't ID someone who puts loonies into a coin slot. I saw one in Florida last week, though.
2. Happy Hour: in Ontario, you can't sell beer at a discount price or give 2-for-1 deals or anything. That actually kinda sucks, but it might discourage binge-drinking, so it might not be so bad after all.
So yeah, it wouldn't surprise me that they gave you smokes.
I usually hate on the States, but people at bars giving away free cigarettes? It truely is the promised land.
What is this magical land?! Free cigarettes! Fantastic! I stopped smoking, but I'd "loves me" some Camels! You are so lucky!
What's next, free bottles of whiskey? I hope so...mmmmmm
Post a Comment