Tuesday, October 21, 2008

I Just Want A Cup of Tea

I was sick of being cooped up in my mini-office all day, so I ventured out with my laptop to grab a cup of tea at a coffee shop to do some work (how very yuppie of me, I know). It turned out to be quite the challenge.

My favourite tea shop was packed so I couldn't sit anywhere. I went further down the street to this crazy European place. The dude behind the counter said I couldn't pay with credit card but could pay with a debit card. However, he only accepts Chase bank accounts, not Bank of America. He told me to go buy something at Walgreens (translation: Shoppers) and get cashback. Eff that. Who's heard of people selectively accepting say, TD debit cards but not Scotiabank debit cards?

So I went FURTHER down the street to Caribou Coffee and asked the dude what he accepted. He said ANY bank account! So I handed over my ATM card and ordered an apple cider. After several tries he told me my card didn't work because it's an ATM card. I said, "yyyeeeessss......?". He said "you can't pay for things with ATM cards, only debit cards." Aren't they the same thing you ask? No. One is for taking money out of bank machines, the other is for paying for stuff. So I rummaged around in my wallet and found an almost identical card that said "debit" which finally worked.

So, after about half an hour of dicking around, I have finally sat down to write my essay. I am sitting beside a fireplace and drinking what is possibly the finest apple cider I have ever had. Aside from the crazy/homeless man that just sat down beside me, I am in good shape for some serious productivity. If I could stop blogging that is...

****************************************

Update: Crazy/homeless guy fully has a cell phone! *And* it's way better than my cheap ass piece of crap. It's one of those tilt ones with the built-in keyboard! Amazing.

3 comments:

Eric said...

He found it on the sidewalk and is sending creepy messages to the girls in the address book.

Anonymous said...

Dude, anyone can get a cell phone now-a-days! I have seen 8 year old kids with cells at work...it freaks me right out. What could you possibly have to talk about at 8 years old?! Hannah Montana? The color pink? Uh...what is going on?! Did I miss the memo? I'm so old now, there is no fighting it.

Uh.

JTL said...

1. Crazy/homeless people need to look like douchebags, too. Let them have their cellular telephone devices!

2. ATM/debit cards in the States are all messed up. We're light-years ahead of them, because one company (Interac) jumped in to standardize everything in the mid-'90s. They have all kinds of crazy systems over there (Cirrus and Plus come to mind), and none of them work together. Surprise!

3. John Hodgman has a new book, called More Information Than You Require. It's gotta be good.