Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Good Job America

Thanks to everyone who told me to go to Grant Park tonight, I had a blast. My friend and I only had to wait 20 minutes MAX to get into the park and found that the crowds weren't too bad. We laid out my Bonnaroo blanket out on some grass in front of one of many jumbo trons to watch the election coverage. The view was great, we could hear everything that was said on CNN, and it wasn't packed in our area. The craziest thing: it was WARM. As in I, Skelena the Frost Queen, didn't even wear a coat!!

The weird thing was how anti-climactic it was to find out Obama was president. They had just called Virginia for Obama and we resumed talking about this and that. Then we heard clapping and cheering, looked at the screen and in little letters it said
"Obama president-elect." People were literally asking each other if he won! I didn't expect him to be elected so soon but we quickly caught on and joined in on the cheering.

I would like to add that when McCain mentioned Obama's name, the republican crowd booed. However, when Obama mentioned McCain, I honestly didn't hear ANY boos. Take from that what you will. I thought Obama gave an excellent speech, particularly the part about the 106 year-old woman who voted and his honestly that problems are not going to be solved overnight.

After watching Oprah dance around for a few minutes, we left with the masses. Despite there being literally people as far as the eye can see, there were no riots, running, pushing, nothing. We just shuffled along through the streets of downtown Chicago onto the subway and peacefully went home. Now let's just hope Al Franken can squeeze out a victory on Minnesota. It's looking tight...

I'll post pictures tomorrow. Stand by...

***UPDATE***


This is out of control:

Minnesota »
2:42 a.m. EST, Nov 5 '08
County Results | Map
Add to Your Races | Exit Poll
Coleman (Incumbent) 1,141,916 42%
Franken 1,140,507 42%

95% of precincts reporting

AAAARRRGGGGHHHHHHH......

***UPDATE 2***

Minnesota »
Updated 1 minute ago
County Results | Map
Add to Your Races | Exit Poll
Franken 1,151,156 42%
Coleman 1,150,091 42%

96% of precincts reporting

This is insane!! I want to go to bed :(

***UPDATE 3***

Minnesota »
Updated 1 minute ago

Coleman 1,165,845 42%
Franken 1,164,212 42%

97% of precincts reporting

Please make this stop...

***UPDATE 4***

Franken 1,182,051 42%
Coleman 1,178,762 42%

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that must have been amazing! I watched as much as I could on the TV, but fell asleep. I can't even imagine being a part of history!! Fantastic!