Sunday, November 23, 2008

When All Goes Wrong

So, g came to visit this weekend because we had tickets for 2 Smashing Pumpkins shows. They played at the Auditorium Theatre which is a beautiful concert hall built in 1889. The show was pretty good and Billy told some funny stories in between songs. The show opened with Jimmy Chamberlain playing an absolutely disgusting drum solo that I wish I got on camera. Billy wore an interesting combination of white Zero shirt, a man skirt, and high top sneakers. The show was pretty long so I ended up sitting at the end during a 20 minute Pink Floyd cover. Eep! Definite boy music but still neat to see. Here are some photos of the first show:




The next day I decided to dazzle g with a homemade chicken pot pie...It didn't exactly turn out as planned:



A little sad looking. We should have recognized it as an omen. We did eat the pie, then hopped on a bus to go to the second Pumpkins show. But, we got trapped in Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade traffic which was like no other. We were at a standstill downtown right when the show was starting. So we got off the bus and started running down Dearborn, then snagged a cab, then ran to the theatre...only to find out that the show was cancelled because Billy was sick :( So I have a December 8 show to look forward to now. And lots of leftover pot pie.

2 comments:

JTL said...

When it comes to pot-pies, I leave it to the fine folks that furnish my grocer's frozen-food section.

Also, I'd have thought a 20-minute Floyd cover would be about the best part of a Pumpkins show! (Zing!) Billy does rock the manskirt pretty well, though.

Anonymous said...

boo to colds! My theory is that Billy did it on purpose to get you to make a second Pumpkins related blog post...

It was a great show, considering Billy was sick and they didn't play an encore, they did play a good 2.5 hours. Definitely cool to see Matt Walker and Jimmy playing a single drum kit during the Floyd cover. And The Beginning is the End is the Beginning, awesome. I love that remix, so it was cool to hear it live.

For the next show, we should both make a point of nervously pacing back and forth through our row, just to get people back for Friday night. :)

and I'm noticing a trend in Chicago, thanksgiving parades a week before thanksgiving (it appears there is another on actually on thanksgiving too), July 4th fireworks on the 3rd.....Do they have a new years celebration on boxing day?