The ingredients for a great day for cheapskates such as myself is to get free stuff. Today was that day.
It began at school when I was given a free lunch by my school as a boost toward the finish line of the semester. Needless to say, I gorged and pocketed as many pre-packaged goods as my bag would hold.
Then, I presented my video tape of an intake session I did for one of my classes. You may recall I did this taping last year and I'm pleased to say I improved in a few areas. I corrected my Mr. Burns posture and excessively head nodding/eye blinking. However, boredom face remains. To compensate, I ended up gesturing wildly with my hands throughout the interview and looked like I had lost proprioception (the ability to know where your limbs are in space).
Anyway, after my presentation, my professor gave me a book - Naked Economics: Undressing the Dismal Science by Charles Wheelan. I highly recommend this book (read a good chunk of it already). It describes how economics impacts our daily lives. For example, the book explains why airlines charge different prices for tickets, why Alan Greenspan is so powerful, and how deregulation lead to the savings and loan disaster in the 80s and 90s (mentioned on last night's Daily Show). Written in lay language, it's an easy but informative read.
After I scored my free book I went to Macy's to treat my face to Clinique's line of skin care line. As a promotional deal, the face wash came with a free gift bag filled with blush, lipstick, moisturizer, mascara, and more. I could have gotten 20% off my purchase if I got a Macy's card but I can't get one because I don't have a social security number (tomorrow I will submit an application for a SSN so the days of discrimination are coming to an end). The lady felt so bad for me she gave me free eye make-up remover! Bam!!
Must away now - going to test out my new/free Youth Surge age decelerating moisturizer...
Thursday, April 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I just got around to watching Wednesday's Daily Show, on which the head of the congressional oversight panel on TARP was interviewed.
She described how, when government had a lot of oversight on the financial system, post-WWII, we went fifty years without a major boom or bust. Then, under Reagan, oversight was relaxed and the S&L's went belly-up. As regulations slipped even further, you get Enron and the current clusterfuck.
It got me thinking about the pro- vs. anti-regulation argument that goes on between pinkos like me and neocons like, well, people on Fox News. The argument always boils down to this:
Pro: "Example A, example B, example C, example D, example E where the lack of regulation has fucked shit up."
Anti: "Get the government out of the way of business! Gut reaction! Aaaarrrrghh! I don't think before I speeeeeeak!!!"
Post a Comment