Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Access to Birth Control in Illinois Pt II

I knew this would go badly. And it did. So I went to that asian health clinic for my appointment today and was asked to fill out paperwork. The whole experience was very stressful for the following reasons:

1. They ask you to declare whether or not you have health coverage with a disclaimer that says lying is an offence. However, my deductible is $50 so I was afraid that if I admitted I had health insurance they would force me to use it rather than get a discounted fee for uninsured people. But I didn't want to get in trouble for lying so I ended up writing down my health insurance information.

2. Also, I wasn't given an opportunity to discuss the fee after I gave them my information. I had to receive the service first (talking to the doctor) and THEN discuss the fee. My anxiety kept mounting because I was afraid the proposed fee would be more than I could afford but I would be forced to pay because I had already spoken to the doctor.

Fortunately, I was only charged $15 for the visit which is far less than my other options. I specified to the doctor that I wanted a cheap pill because I couldn't afford much. She appeared to understand what I was saying and gave me my presription for three months worth of pills. I left feeling relieved. Big mistake.

When I got to the pharmacy I asked how much my prescription would be for one month. Apparently they have a deal with the clinic and all patients get 40% off their prescriptions! However, the particular pill I was given was a popular new brand and costs...wait for it...wait for it...

$69.99 PER MONTH.

In what UNIVERSE does birth control cost $70 a month (PLUS TAX)? Granted, I got a 40% discount which brought the price down considerably ($30-something dollars) but that is also outrageously expensive. So, I handed over my medical insurance card and asked what the price would be. First, I wasn't allowed to use the 40% discount in addition to my medical insurance. Second...

My prescription coverage won't pay for contraceptives.

Oh, it covers prescription medication alright. But not prescription contraception. I guess Jesus frowns on that so the insurance companies figured they better not piss him off. So apparently the doctor was either deaf when I said 'cheap' or she thinks that $70/month for the pill is reasonable.

From this little exercise in futility I have learned that if you live in Illinois and are a US citizen, getting access to birth control pills is very easy by using the pink card. However, if you are not a US citizen, access to the pill is extremely difficult and virtually unaffordable.

6 comments:

JTL said...

Round-trip student-fare Amtrak ticket to-and-from Port Huron, Michigan: $44.20

Cab from the Port Huron train station, across the bridge, to Sarnia, Ontario: $10-ish, I'd think

Value of not having to deal with the US health "system": priceless

amanda said...

do you have any generous friends that qualify for a pink card but currently aren't taking BC, so you coudld get them to get it and buy it from them?

(sad that these situations even need to be considered. i've already started thinking about ways to ship it down to you!)

Amanda and Ryan said...

I am tempted to suggest you should have attended school in the UK. I was informed by Catriona once upon a time that the pill is 100% free there. She would stack pile before leaving for school.

The other option I have for you is forgoing the pill altogether and abstaining from sex, but I'll leave the choice up to you.

Out of curiosity though, what is the cost of an abortin in relation to the monthly cost of birth control and requisite doctor visits for prescription refill?

ecb said...

Thanks for the suggetions, you guy are sweet :P This isn't really a sex thing though - there are other girly reason for being on the pill and since I had medication coverage here I thought I'd check it out. Seeing as how difficult it is here, I'll just wait until I go home.

My point for bringing this up is that poor women, particularly non-citizens are at a distinct disadvantage for accessing healthcare in the US in general and that contraception may be specifically more difficult to obtain than other medication.

Ryan said...

But who's going to bus America's tables if poor women have access to affordable birth control? Undereducated wage-slaves don't exactly grow on trees, you know.

JTL said...

No, but they do grow in Mexico (assuming they don't drop dead of swine-flu before they sneak across the Rio Grande first).