Ever since I was challenged over dinner one night about the merits of Bill O'Reilly I have paid a bit more attention to the garbage being spewed out of his FACE. I just read this brief article about homeless veterans and how our good friend Bill was criticizing John Edwards for bringing this issue up because apparently, according to Bill, it's not that serious of a problem. Edwards claims there are approximately 200,000 homeless vets out there, and O'Reilly says there aren't that many. Click here to read Edwards' response which I thought was great and could be applied to pretty much every issue facing America today. I should also add that the US Department of Veteran Affairs puts the number of homeless vets at 195,000. So I guess O'Reilly was right about something. Good job, thanks for clarifying the issue for us.
There's nothing more anyone can say about O'Reilly that hasn't been said. I am just continually amazed that he has viewers, some of whom live in my building. I have already unleashed the [controlled, non-physically threatening] fury on a few people. I have 4 years to clean up America... I have much work to do.
Friday, January 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
They always get you on the technicalities. You can't call someone like him out for his lies cause he's not lying, he's just leaving out trivial little details like the numbers...
People like him, and all politicians, are guilty of it. 90% of the people aren't going to bother to fact check his statement. They'll take it as fact and run with it. Those that will fact check it will just get shouted down by O'Reilly himself. Sadly, as long as he has an audience he'll get away with it.
I like the response Edwards gave, but to limit it just to the scope of homeless veterans is pandering. With the amount of tax dollars brought in in the US there is no need for anyone to be living on the streets. The mismanagement and wasteful spending is what needs to be dealt with. Over $500 billion is spent on national defense. The vast majority of that doesn't make it to the hands of the people who put themselves in harms way. It mostly lines the pockets of the defense contractors and arms dealers. Companies get grants to develop more technically advanced weapons to deal with problems that exist in someones fantasy world. That is the biggest crime in the US, and it's a real shame that it's hardly ever addressed.
I could also go on about the manipulation behind some US foreign aid to countries just based on what I've read from The Shock Doctrine recently, but I'll spare you from that rant.
Good luck with your mission to clean up America, there are an awful lot of thick skulls to get through. :)
Was it not David Letterman -- who, incidentally, brought Papa Bear on his show to totally own him -- who opined that O'Reilly "would rather be loud than be right"? Seems pretty much bang-on to me.
Making fun of Bill O'Reilly is just too ridiculously easy. Fish-in-a-barrel easy. But, I agree with you -- I just can't wrap my head around the people who actually believe what he says is true. For me, it's right up there with trying to figure out who keeps buying all those fucking Nickelback albums.
g,
You are so eloquent, I can't add anything else to your response. I do want to hear more about the Shock Doctrine though. I'm sure none of it will surprise me though ;(
ECB.
Post a Comment