Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Static Electricity Blues

Dudes,

I have a major problem with static electricity in my apartment. Everything I touch - my laptop, lamps, phones, and even water elicits a painful shock. I actually wear rubber gloves a lot when I'm cooking or needing to turn something on to prevent the sparks from flying. It has been suggested to me that a humidifier may remedy the problem. Has anyone else encountered the evils of this scourge and discovered any ways of overcoming it?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do hope, your asking around is not some sort of admission that you think I'm wrong about something.

JTL said...

Water? Seriously?

Yeah, a humidifier might help. It is pretty dry these days. I personally don't have that problem, even on the coldest, driest winter days. Do you have carpeting or hardwood flooring? That might make a difference.

ecb said...

Much to my dismay, I have fug carpeting in the living room/bedroom/kitchen and I've noticed that 99% of the shocks happen in this area. Unfortch, I can't rip it out.

Eric, I do not for a second doubt your all-encompassing wisdom and prescience on this subject. I am just concerned that the humidifier won't be enough, like the sparks will rally together to form another attack. Maybe a multi-pronged approach is best?

JTL said...

Your fug carpet and your gorilla slippers are probably whipping up some van der Graaf machine-like voltages, and you get the pleasure of painful shocks. Geez, it's like my science classes all the time, 24/7. Lucky you!

Try walking around for a while without your slippers. Make a difference?