Recently I tried to refill my prescription for the pill. However, I don't go back to Canada until August so I started enquiring about my options in the US. Needless to say, my hatred for this health care system has reached levels I didn't know existed. Here is how I spent my morning:
1. HMOs: To find out where my health insurance was eligible, I had to dig up my paperwork and find the url for a website which lists all the service providers in my area. The website was somewhat difficult to navigate. When I got the list, I called one close to me and asked about fees. To see the doctor it cost $65 and the price of one pack of birth control is $25. My deductible is $50 and then my insurance provider pays 80% of the remaining cost. To put this into perspective, in Toronto I can go to a clinic and get a pack for $5-10 and not pay to see the doctor. This option blows chunks.
2. Planned Parenthood: I called Planned Parenthood which is an allegedly cheap alternative for people who don't have insurance. They have multiple sites throughout the city. However, they charge $58 for a visit plus $30 for a pack of pills! Also, their wait times are considerable and inconvenient if you are in a pinch. Eff this noise.
3. The Pink Card: Illinois offers free birth control for women who reside in this state. Recipients get free birth control pills, condoms, and two 'plan B' pills per month. However, I am not eligible because I'm not a US citizen. Who cares about immigrants and students anyway?
4. Student health: Most universities have a student health centre that provides reasonably priced services.
5. Community clinic: My friend finally recommended her clinic which provides cheap health care services (had she not told me about it, I never would have known this option existed). It's specifically for asian immigrants but guess who has an appointment tomorrow? This girl! However, they *still* gave me a hassle. They wouldn't tell me how much an appointment costs until I arrive at my appointment. Before setting a price they need to review my most recent pay stub and photo ID. But wait - my pay stubs are from Canada and are mailed to my mom's house. The operator told me they only recognize pay stubs from the US anyway but told me to show up and 'see what the doctor says.' So there will be a part two of this story.
So what I have learned is unless you are a US citizen and/or have kickass medical insurance, birth control is virtually unaffordable and exceedingly difficult to obtain due to wait times, administrative hoops, and high prices. I'm surprised that more women aren't pregnant because honestly, it's probably less of a hassle and will cost about the same.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Skelena, your comments on the american health care system never cease to amaze me... remind me again why you chose to abandon the world of OHIP?
- Milios
The US of A is a Christian nation. BC pills are murder. I will pray for you tonight, my child. You will then see the everlasting love of Jesus, the One True God. Hallelujah, amen.
Post a Comment