Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Medical Bills Continued...

If you recall, I had some bloodwork done in February at a local hospital that cost me $265.

This past week I get ANOTHER bill in the mail for $33 from a pathology lab in Indianapolis. I called because I had no idea why I was being billed and the operator told me that even though I paid for the bloodwork at the hospital, this bill was separate. I am now being billed for the pathologist to write out the results of the bloodwork on a piece of paper to cover costs of 'ensuring quality of each lab test, supervising lab personnel, and directing the medical laboratory.'

I'm half expecting more bills to come in drips and drabs over the next year:

* Secretary fee for putting my bills in the envelope
* Janitor fee for keeping the laboratory spotless and clean
* International fee for analyzing non-American blood


...and so on.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Surely there's a fee for disposal of the needle, and maybe a precautionary handling fee just in case you happened to have something.

I also wouldn't be surprised if they bill you later for the stamps too...

But it's no wonder that people go bankrupt from medical bills in the states. They'll nickel and dime you to death over blood work, what would they do if you had surgery? Obviously, you were right to say that it would be cheaper for you to fly home to get that blood work done every month than to get it done there.

JTL said...

Who runs that fucking medical system, Ticketmaster? Jesus Aitch.

Anonymous said...

Don't you have some sort of medical coverage through the school that is, presumably, better than your average insurance?

The few people I have known or heard of that did school in the U.S. had no problems with medical coverage.